The Specialty Food Association is a thriving community of food artisans, purveyors, importers and entrepreneurs who bring craft, care and joy to the distinctive foods they sell. Established in 1952 in New York, the not-for-profit trade association provides its 3,000+ members in the U.S. and abroad the tools, knowledge and connections to champion and nurture their companies in an always-evolving marketplace. The Association (formerly the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade, Inc.) owns and produces the Winter and Summer Fancy Food Shows, and presents the sofi Awards honoring excellence in specialty food.
The Specialty Food Association is steadfast in our commitment to the success of those who bring the emotional experience of specialty foods to the consumer. To ensure the success of our members and the industry, we will:
- Define and defend the ideals that “specialty foods” uphold.
- Build an identity for specialty foods. Educate the public to ensure the consumer understands their distinctiveness and benefits.
- Nurture a close-knit community of producers and their partners.
- Harness the entrepreneurial roots of our members by providing tools and insight to support smart innovation.
- Inspire and develop future generations of specialty food producers and retailers.
- Earn credibility to become the recognized authority on the present state and future directions of specialty foods.
- Advocate for our members’ interests.
- Create and reinforce a culture of intrapreneurship among staff and volunteer leadership.
- Obsess over our understanding of members’ present and future needs, and continually seek ways to meet them.
- Recognize that one measure of our success will be an ever-increasing base of members inspired to participate in the community we build for as long as they feel passion for specialty foods.