To further the interests of mathematical research, scholarship and education, serving the national and international community through publications, meetings, advocacy and other programs.
The goals of the AMS are as follows:
- Promote mathematical research, its communication and uses
- Encourage and promote the transmission of mathematical understanding and skills
- Support mathematical education at all levels
- Advance the status of the profession of mathematics, encouraging and facilitating full participation of all individuals
- Foster an awareness and appreciation of mathematics and its connections to other disciplines and everyday life